lunes, 9 de diciembre de 2013

I am from Switzerland, Colombian part.


Brighton is a cosmopolitan city, I've often found myself walking through the streets and sometimes I forget that I am in an English Village. Since it is a student city and a tourist resort, you can find people from all over the world. Cultural diversity and the opportunity to meet people from different countries are some of the things that attracts students to come to learn English.


A very prominent group of international students is the Swiss. Their culture and customs are somewhat not so different from the English people, but for them to come to England to study English is almost a duty or obligation at some point in their lives. They are a very diverse group, the country is composed of four parts: German, French, Italian and Romansh; Each one of them speaks a different language, but in essence, they are all equal.

My circle of friends has been shaped by them; sometimes I was the only one of different nationality. We all had to speak in English, first of all because it is the reason we are here studying and secondly, as a curious fact, the Swiss from different parts who don’t have the same language, find English as an intermediate language to communicate with each other. Something that surprised me was the fact that whenever we were together, there were very few times when they spoke in their own language, even when I was not included in the conversation.

One day I decided to go with a group of Colombians to London, I had never been out with this group before, but they told me that two Swiss people were coming as well, so I found it interesting  to go and meet them. We were five Colombians, a young guy from the German part of Switzerland and a young lady from the French part. When we were on the train I realized that this situation was quite different from what I was used to. On an all-Colombian table they were speaking Spanish and gossiping, and on the other table, the two Swiss, alone without understanding anything and not even able to talk to them in their own language.
When we arrived to London I spoke to the Swiss girl and I asked if that situation happened very often. she with an innocent and noble voice replied, " Yes, but I do not care, those Colombians are my friends and I'm used to it, and even I understand a little Spanish now."

For me it was difficult to assimilate because the treatment I received from them when they were majority was the opposite. I felt really ashamed of myself and my compatriots. I was embarrassed because after all the Swiss people only have to travel one hour by plane to come here, but they understand that their goal is to learn a language. Instead, we who have to cross the ocean to come down here, we prefer to teach Spanish rather than to learn English.

Ruben Casas.
@ MementoMort

This blog entry is a tribute to all my Swiss friends who have been such an important part in my stay in England, especially Eliane Reusser, we will see each other soon in Thun.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario